Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is my husband's recipe. I am not sure where he got it, but he definitely believes it's worth the effort!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
- 2 tablespoons texas style chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Brown beef in shortening.
- Add beef broth and tomato sauce.
- Combine the remaining ingredients.
- Add to the beef mixture; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Combine spices and add to chili.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add more water if necessary if the chili gets too thick.
- Combine ingredients and add to chili. (True Texas chili does not contain beans, but if you really want to you can add a can of chili beans here.)
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
This was so good and I wanted to give it 5 stars but I just couldn't. Even though the flavor of the chili was awesome!! It was soooo salty. I will make this again but cut out a lot of the salt! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!!