I make this salad a lot during the summer, when I try to have on hand a selection of salads that keep well in the fridge for several days. I also make it in the winter, using frozen corn instead of fresh, and a small handful of dried tomatoes, soaked in a little boiling water instead of the fresh tomato. It's a meal in itself, or goes well with other salads, cheese and cold cuts. If you are going to keep it in the fridge, and are using fresh tomato, keep that out and add it separately at serving time.
- 2 cups corn kernels (2 or 3 cobs)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chives, minced
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, minced (or cilantro if you prefer)
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chervil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- Cook the corn briefly.
- Drain and let cool.
- Chop the tomato and prepare the remaining vegetables and herbs.
- Rinse and drain the beans.
- Mix the vegetables, herbs and beans togather in a large bowl.
- Mix the oil, vinegar and spices.
- Toss into the salad.
- Serve chilled.
Great tasting recipe. The variety of ingredients make this a very colorful dish for a festive occassion. I subsituted cilantro for the parsley giving it a Tex-Mex flavour. The spices are suprisingly subtle, a great combination while not overpowering the natural flavor of the vegetables. I topped my salad off with fresh cracked pepper just before serving. Definately will make this dish again. Recommended!
For some reason this was not as flavorful as I expected. I used all of the spices except the chervil and even added a red onion and a 1/4 of red wine vinegar after tasting it the first time.
I made this today and it's excellent. I didn't have the spices you called for except cumin. I added cubed ham to make it the main dish and it got rave reviews. I used the cuissanart and the chopping was a breeze. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely make this salad again.