Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mexican cuisine purists will want to toss a grenade into my kitchen when they see this recipe. But I stand by my update of the venerable Chicken Mole. It's delicious. Be venturous and give it a shot. Cook time does not include cooking the chicken if you use the raw one.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 prepackaged cooked chicken, from the store
- 1 small onion, chopped
- garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups thick and chunky style salsa, medium hot
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds (or more)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- If using raw chicken, cook it using your favorite method.
- Chop it into bite sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- Sautee the onions and mushrooms until onions are transparent.
- Stir in the salsa, broth, chili powder, garlic powder, and black pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to a slow simmer.
- Add chicken and almonds, and simmer for a few minutes to reheat chicken and warm up the nuts.
- Plate it up on top of angel hair pasta.
The ingredients list coco powder and peanut butter, but these ingredients are not listed in the instructions. I added them to the sauce in step 5 (along with the salsa, broth, ...) before cooking and it came out fine.