Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Lovely and thick spinach soup. I don't like spinach normally, but this is wonderful.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 lb spinach, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 pints vegetable stock or 1 1⁄2 pints chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- creme fraiche or cream
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan and gently cook the onion for 3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the potatoes, spinach, stock, nutmeg and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor (or use a hand-blender) and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan, heat through and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with a swirl of creme fraiche (or cream) and freshly ground black pepper.
This is a great recipe! Looked around for a looong time, went with this one because it seemed the least involved, and it turned out so delicious! Followed it exactly, except used my garden Swiss chard instead of spinach. Didn't find it bland or tasteless at all!
I have adopted you for Pick A Chef, Sring 2007. I used an entire 900g bag of large spinach and added my first few handfuls of New Zealand Spinach that I am growing in an inside window continer garden in my office at work. Who needs pot plants when you can grow fresh herbs and spinach? LOL. My colleagues sigh and know that I'm Cooking Crazy but I have the last laugh becuase they are right and you can't beat freshly grown produce. I live in an appartment with no garden, so sieze the day (or window ledge as the case may be)! Maybe it's the homegrown factor but I had no problems with lack of flavour as some reviewers reported... this was yummy! I might be slightly tempted to add some garlic next time as I am mad about that too, but really, there is no need as it's a rich spinach-y flavour and a full bodied thick soup. I bought the cream but after stepping on the scales today decided not to add it (sigh) and went soup au natural but didn't miss the cream after all. Please see my rating system: 4 stars for a recipe thats making it onto my menu again and into my handwritten cookbook. Lovely , Thanks!
I enjoyed this soup as a quick lunch. I had some leftover spinach so used that and only added it after the potatoes were cooked. Also added some sour cream before serving. The nutmeg does finish the soup nicely. Thanks for sharing.