Recipe by Allan Rees-Bevan
Lovely and thick spinach soup. I don't like spinach normally, but this is wonderful.
Top Review by Miso and the Meatball
This is a great recipe! Looked around for a looong time, went with this one because it seemed the least involved, and it turned out so delicious! Followed it exactly, except used my garden Swiss chard instead of spinach. Didn't find it bland or tasteless at all!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 lb spinach, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 pints vegetable stock or 1 1⁄2 pints chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- creme fraiche or cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan and gently cook the onion for 3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the potatoes, spinach, stock, nutmeg and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor (or use a hand-blender) and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan, heat through and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with a swirl of creme fraiche (or cream) and freshly ground black pepper.