Recipe by Sharlene~W
One of the best oatmeal cookies I've ever tasted. A definite family favorite. They are fantastic without the optional nuts, raisins or chocolate. Photo by KC Cooker is how these cookies look when I bake them--fairly flat, chewy in the middle with crispy edges. Yum.....
Top Review by helowy
Shame on me that I never reviewed these. I make them all the time. They are one of my go to oatmeal cookie recipes. I always get compliments and requests for the recipe. They make a thinner, crunchier cookie, and I like them best plain, w/ no nuts, raisins or chips. Came to the recipe today b/c I need a dessert for a kosher friend for a meat meal, and these are parve, an added bonus!
- 236.59 ml shortening
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 354.88 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 709.77 ml quick-cooking rolled oats
- 118.29 ml chopped nuts (optional)
- 118.29 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 118.29 ml raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together shortening and sugars.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- Sift together flour, salt and soda.
- Add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in oats slowly.
- Mix well. Add nuts, chips or raisins, if desired. Dough will be fairly stiff.
- Drop by heaping tablespoon on lightly greased cookie sheet. (I use a 4 teaspoon cookie scoop and press them down slightly before baking).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.