Recipe by Bergy
My apology to the true great German Rouladen, this is a clean the cupboard version. I served them with buttered noodles, with the remaining sauce poured over them, carrot/parsnip patties and a small salad .. Do not over cook or the rouladen will be very dry and chewy. The preparation time includes the half hour marinade time, If you wish add about 1 tsp corn starch to the remaining sauce to thicken it. You may use Oriental quick cook noofles they taste good. I like to remove the cover for the last 5 minutes and have them 10" from the broiler.
- 2 (4 ounce) slicesready cut rouladen beef
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil packed,drained & chopped
- 4 -6 medium mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot chili sauce (less if so desired)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons tomato juice (or V8, clamato whatever)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black bean sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Unroll the rouladen and marinade it in the wine for about 1/2 hour (if you do not like to use wine marinade it in applejuice or some other natural tenderizer) Pat dry and leave them unrolled, starting at one (and shared between the two) lay a row of mushrooms Moving up the rouladen put a strip off sun dried tomatoes.
- Next a row of garlic, then Salt& Pepper to your taste.
- Beginning at the mushroom end roll it up jelly roll fashioh and secure with two toothpicks.
- Next mix together the chili sauce,ketsup,tomatoe juice,worcestershire& black bean sauce, mix well.
- Place rouladen in an over proof dish Pour the sauce over cover tightly and bake in a 350f oven for 30 minutes.
- Pour any remaining sauce over your potatoes or buttered noodles.