Recipe by Manda
My mum found this recipe somewhere, and I made it last weekend for a family get-together, It was a huge hit. I wanted to share before the 4th of July holiday comes up. Very refreshing, lovely summer dessert.
Top Review by Kimberly Annette
This was originally a Sara Lee "All Butter Pound Cake" and Cool Whip promotion. I have the magazine "recipe ad" with one of the coupons still attached -- the expiration date was 9/30/95! Have made this for at least one patriotic holiday each year due to popular demand - everyone loves it.
- 2 pints strawberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert (or use 2 4-serving pkgs)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 (12 ounce) package poundcake, sliced into thin 10 pieces (approximately)
- 1 1⁄3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice 1 cup of strawberries, and halve remaining.
- Stir boiling water into gelatin in bowl until completely dissolved.
- Mix 1 cup cold water and enough ice to make 2 cups.
- Stir into gelatin until ice is melted.
- Refrigerate 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Line 12x8-inch dish with cake slices.
- Stir sliced strawberries and 1 cup blueberries into gelatin, and spoon over cake.
- Refrigerate 4 hours, or until firm.
- Spread cool whip over gelatin.
- Arrange strawberries and blueberries on top to create flag.