Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Almost zero fat and more fibre than you can handle in a week
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup Red River hot cereal
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (whole or ground)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce (or pureed prunes)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries (or any other fresh fruit)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
- SOAK: oats, 12 grain cereal and cornmeal in yoghurt and apple sauce (or prune puree) for 1/2 hour. Add brown sugar, egg and mix well.
- MIX: flour, flax, baking powder, baking soda - Add to yoghurt mix. Combine just until moist. Batter should be fairly thick. Add a tablespoon or two more of flour if batter is runny.
- FOLD: fold in berries (or fruit) dried cranberries (or rasins).
- Grease muffin pan or use line with muffin cups.
- Makes 12 muffins (or 6 super muffins!).
- Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.
Just a reminder that when you have a recipe without oil, if you use muffin papers, you will probably get a bit more fiber than you bargained for when you TRY to peel the paper off! I don't mind, but if you're serving to others, it gets a bit harder to do a nice presentation. I also chopped up apple for the fruit, and they were wonderful.
this was a great muffin, though mine were overcooked in 20 min? i didnt have any fresh fruit so i put some soaked raisons in them instead. very healthy and fiberlicious and it definately makes more than a dozen, i halved the recipe and got 10 muffins! dont hesitate to make these. they are better than you might think! and easier too. just watch the cooking time.
These were really great! I only gave 4 stars because I changed just a couple of things. I used buttermilk in place of yogurt because that was what I had-also added 1 tsp of apple pie spice. I used a combination of frozen blueberries (thawed and drained) and cherry craisins.
I screwed up the directions-I mixed all the dry ingredients and all the wet ingredients and then added them instead of doing the soaking. Muffins still came out great. Made regular size and they were done in 15 min. Thanks for posting!