Recipe by Feingold Mom
My son is allergic to chocolate so I spent several years perfecting the ultimate carob cake recipe. I have finally achieved it! Oh, and it also had to be Feingold friendly, since we are 100% feingold.
Top Review by lady carmichael
I've never tried a recipe without ratings on this site. I was making this as a birthday present for someone who's allergic to chocolate and really misses it. I'm glad I decided to trust your recipe and be the first one to give feedback. In my oven, it took like 45 mins. instead of 30, but well worth the wait. The cake is super moist and the flavor is just perfect. Very lovely texture. I wanted to make it a "super carob cake" so I made my own carob frosting with cream cheese and butter instead of your icing. But the cake alone deserves 5 stars. Thanks Feingold Mom! I'll checking out more of your recipes. PS.: I agree with FM and also recommend Chatfield's carob for this recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup carob powder (I swear by Chatfield brand)
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup boiling water, with
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- For cake:
- Put oven on to 350°. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together first five (dry) ingredients. Make well in bowl for wet ingredients.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together oil, milk and eggs. Pour into the well in dry ingredients.
- As you begin to beat the batter, add the cup of hot coffee. Beat until well mixed then for two minutes on high.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick placed in center comes out dry.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and continue to cool on racks until completely cooled. Finish by icing with Buttercream that follows:.
- For Icing:
- Cream butter and shortening with mixer. Add vanilla extract.
- Gradually add confectioners' sugar while continually beating with mixer. Icing will seem dry.
- Add milk continually, mixing and scraping sides of bowl, until icing appears light and right consistancy for icing cake.
- Cover until you are ready to icing.
- Makes about 3 cups.