1/4 Photos of The Ultimate Breadsticks
2 hrs 15 mins
I did it! I finally found the recipe for the absolute best breadsticks. This recipe makes big, beautiful breadsticks and lots of them too. I experimented with the original recipe and made several adjustments and made many variations as well. The recipe can easily be halved, but you might as well make them all and freeze what you don't use (we never have to do this though, they all get gobbled up).
My Private Note
huge br ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1 cup of water with sugar.
- 2Let stand 5 minutes.
- 3Add the rest of the ingredients except the butter.
- 4Stir into dough and knead until smooth and elastic and slightly sticky (I use a heavy- duty mixer).
- 5Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- 6Punch down. Divide dough in half.
- 7Roll one half dough out into a 12 x 18 inch rectangle on a floured surface.
- 8Brush with melted butter.
- 9Cut dough in half vertically, and then cut horizontally into 8 strips (16 bread sticks from one half of dough).
- 10Repeat this same step with other half of dough. You should have 32 bread sticks all together.
- 11Now at this point you can do the following variations:.
- 12Cheesy Bread Sticks: Press buttered side down of breadstick in freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Twist bread stick multiple times and lay out on parchment lined cookie sheets. (I do about 8 to a pan-parchment necessary so the cheese won’t stick to the pan). Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until double in bulk and then bake. After baking, brush with remaining melted garlic butter.
- 13Garlic Butter Bread Sticks: Twist bread sticks that have already been spread with garlic butter mixture. Place on greased baking sheet and let rise 30 minutes. After baking, brush again with melted garlic butter.
- 14Herb & Cheese Breadsticks: Use plain melted butter to spread on dough, then sprinkle bread sticks with Parmesan cheese and Salad Supreme. Place on sprayed baking sheets and let rise 30 minutes before baking. Brush again with remaining melted butter after baking.
- 15Pizza Breadsticks: Let buttered bread sticks rise on parchment lined baking sheets 30 minutes. Spread with pizza sauce and place pepperoni on top. The last 5 minutes of baking add shredded cheese.
- 16Cinnamon Sugar Breadsticks: Dip bread sticks in 1 stick melted of butter (skip the brush with melted butter step). Roll in a mixture of 2 cups brown sugar and about 1 Tbsp cinnamon (might need more sugar mixture depending on how much you use). Twist and let rise on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake.
- 17*Spray pans or use parchment paper and cover lightly while rising.
- 18**Let bread sticks rise 30 minutes before baking.
- 19***Note all bread sticks will be cooked 15 to 18 minutes at 350° or until lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate Breadsticks
Serving Size: 1 (1946 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.7
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 245.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 3.5 g