Recipe by CountryLady
This comes from the cookbook that came with the first microwave oven that I bought - way back in 1980. I've made it so many times that the page is stained!!
Top Review by dukeswalker
For being a microwave apple crisp - Its pretty good! The topping does end up crisp - butits more of a hard toffee consistency - but still tasty. If I make it again - I'll eliminate the lemon juice (it made the apples way too tart), I'll double the topping and also stir in some cinnamon with the apples. Overall - liked by my family of 3 but not LOVED.
- 4 cups sliced peeled apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats or 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Place apples in 1 quart casserole dish& sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Microwave on high until apples are tender-crisp (2 1/2- 4 minutes) and set aside.
- Or cook on the stove top in a pot.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and microwave on high until hot& bubbly (1 1/2- 3 1/2 minutes), stirring after half the cooking time.
- Or use the stove top.
- Spread over the apples.
- Microwave at high until apples are tender& topping is bubbly (4- 6 minutes) OR place in preheated 350F oven for 15- 20 minutes (I usually do this if I'm using the oven for the main course).
- Serve warm with ice cream or frozen yogurt.