This is made without a crust, it is so yummy, and quite simple to prepare, a very nice main dish meal, served with a salad.
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into medium-size florets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 slightly beaten eggs
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk or 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 4 -6 drops hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Combine the broccoli, onion and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat for 6 minutes, (don't overcook, cook only until just tender); drain thoroughly, dry VERY WELL with paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine the next 9 ingredients (starting after the 1/4 cup water).
- Mix in the broccoli/onion mixture; pour into a prepared 10-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Sprinkle with desired amount of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until set.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving-- yummy!
- Note: if desired, this may be baked in an 11' x 7" baking pan, instead of a pie plate.
I think there was a wee bit too much onion in this for me. With the sharpness of the onion and swiss cheese, it was just a TAD too sharp for me. I loved this recipe but next time will substitute some mozzerella for some of the swiss and will use a bit less onion. Tho I liked it alot because there is no crust!!!
Great pie!! So easy to prepare and so tasty!! I cooked the broccoli and then the onion in the microwave. Then followed the recipe!! Used low-fat milk (might be the reason why it was just a bit liquidy - didn't alter the taste though!!). Thanks Kit! :)
A very nice one! Easy, crispy and tasty. Thanks.