2 hrs 25 mins
Natalia 3's Note:
I threw some ingredients together with a vague notion of what I was doing and it turned out great! The baked beans add a bit of sweetness, but not too much. It balances out the spiciness if you choose to make it hot with crushed peppers. TOPPING IDEAS: Great with sour cream, shredded cheese and/or finely chopped onions). I like it over brown rice. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can baked beans (undrained, I used Bush's vegetarian beans)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1 large garlic clove (or 2 small, chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or other meat)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less for desired heat)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1Assemble first 3 ingredients in slow cooker. Begin cooking on high heat.
- 2Sautee fresh vegetables (next four ingredients) on medium heat until just softened (careful not to burn the garlic). Add to the slow cooker.
- 3Cook meat in a pan until no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks. Add to slow cooker.
- 4Stir in the spices.
- 5Cook on high for 1-2 hours (or until the chili is very hot and simmering).
- 6Turn down to low and cook until ready to eat. I let it cook for an additional 2 hours to let the flavors really come together.
- 7Taste, adjust seasonings and serve.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Perfect Chili (For Slow Cooker or Modify for Stove Top)
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.2
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 58.9 mg
- Sodium 1433.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 16.5 g
- Protein 28.5 g