Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I threw some ingredients together with a vague notion of what I was doing and it turned out great! The baked beans add a bit of sweetness, but not too much. It balances out the spiciness if you choose to make it hot with crushed peppers. TOPPING IDEAS: Great with sour cream, shredded cheese and/or finely chopped onions). I like it over brown rice. Enjoy!
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can baked beans (undrained, I used Bush's vegetarian beans)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1⁄2 onion (chopped)
- 1 large garlic clove (or 2 small, chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or other meat)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less for desired heat)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Assemble first 3 ingredients in slow cooker. Begin cooking on high heat.
- Sautee fresh vegetables (next four ingredients) on medium heat until just softened (careful not to burn the garlic). Add to the slow cooker.
- Cook meat in a pan until no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks. Add to slow cooker.
- Stir in the spices.
- Cook on high for 1-2 hours (or until the chili is very hot and simmering).
- Turn down to low and cook until ready to eat. I let it cook for an additional 2 hours to let the flavors really come together.
- Taste, adjust seasonings and serve.
A very nice chili with very little effort. I assumed the celery was to be sauteed along with the other vegetables in step 2. Only change I made was to use turkey rather than beef.