Recipe by MarraMamba
At Tábor, pork schnitzel is served on rolls to create one of Portland, Oregon's most satisfying street-food sandwiches. From Bon Appetit. A great pork sandwich
Top Review by Catnip46
Wow this was really good. What a great sandwich. I will be making thls often. This deserves way more than 5 stars. I should have used a thinner pork chop or pork steak, I couldn't pound my chop down to 1/4 inch. Also next time I will use a ciabatta bun (I love those buns) but all I had on hand was a hamburger bun. Still tasted good. Yum, yum yum!
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 boneless pork chops (about 12 ounces total)
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 6 tablespoons eggplants or 6 tablespoons pepper, spread ajvar*
- 4 ciabatta rolls or 4 other crusty rolls, halved horizontally
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, torn in half crosswise
- serve with a roasted pepper and eggplant spread, available at Middle Eastern markets
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, sour cream, and horseradish in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until beginning to soften and brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until onions are very soft and deep golden brown, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Transfer to bowl. DO AHEAD Horseradish sauce and caramelized onion can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill.
- Place rack on rimmed baking sheet. Place pork between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, spacing apart. Using flat side of meat tenderizer or mallet, pound to thickness of 1/4 inch. Place flour in 1 shallow bowl. Beat eggs in another shallow bowl. Place panko in third shallow bowl. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Working with 1 pork chop at a time, dredge both sides in flour, shaking off excess; dip in eggs to coat. Transfer to panko and press to coat pork all over. Place on prepared rack. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 hour ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork to skillet and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, adding more oil by tablespoonfuls if needed. Transfer pork to paper towels.
- Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons ajvar onto each roll bottom; top each with 2 tablespoons caramelized onion. Place pork atop onion, then top with lettuce. Spoon 1 rounded tablespoon horseradish sauce onto cut side of each roll top. Place roll tops on sandwiches and serve.