Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Nutty, creamy, rich as a Maharajah this is in the super curry league. Poppy seeds, almonds and pistachio nuts all add to the flavour, and help thicken the sauce.
- 2 lbs chicken, cubed
- 4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fresh green chile, chopped
- 2 dried red chilies, chopped
- 1⁄4 pint plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white poppy seeds, ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 ounces pistachio nuts, chopped
- Melt half of the ghee in a pot over medium heat and fry the onions, ginger, garlic, red and green chillies for 5 minutes Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool a little.
- In a blender process the yogurt with the cooked onion mixture to make a puree.
- Heat the remaining ghee over medium heat and add the cumin seeds,ground coriander, garam masala, turmeric and black pepper with the poppy seeds. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the meat stir fry for 5 mins, cover the pot and cook on low for 20 mins, stir every few minutes.
- Add the blended onions to the pot and add 6 fluid oz water and the salt, bring to the boil and simmer covered till the meat is tender. Stir so that the sauce does not stick or burn.
- Add the ground almonds, stir and cook uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and remove the pot from the heat.
- Serve garnished with the coriander leaves and sprinkled with the pistachio nuts.