Recipe by GoKittenGo
I live in Savannah, Georgia, and have encountered these biscuits straight from The Lady & Sons restaraunt. They're incredible! At my former workplace, we had the Lady & Sons cater lunches for training seminars and these were always the first to disappear. This is from a recipe that ran in the Savannah Morning News a few years ago. The sharp cheddar is my preference, although the original recipe simply states "cheddar". If making the jumbo, ice-cream scoop biscuits, this will make about four.
Top Review by nurseaudreyj
This is NOT the same as the biscuits at Lady and Sons. I was just there and when I got home I made this recipe EXACTLY (no substitutions). They are good, but not what I had at the restaurant.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening (I use Crisco)
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese (sharp)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted (I use salted)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and sugar together using fork.
- Mix in shortening with fork or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in cheese.
- Lightly stir in buttermilk until just blended; do not overmix.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls (The Lady actually uses an ice cream scoop, according to the recipe) onto a well-greased baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes.
- Brush with butter or garlic butter.
- ---GarlicButter Instructions--- Combine butter and garlic in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook until butter absorbs garlic flavor, but don't allow the garlic to color.
- Remove from heat, and discard garlic.
- Can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for about two weeks.