Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From 30 Day Gourmet. Made this tender chicken recently and my DH and kids really enjoyed it. I served it over Lo Mein - DH and DS ate their chicken and Lo Mein separately, my other DS, DD, and myself pulled the chicken off the bone and ate it with the Lo Mein - DD also added some Duck Sauce to hers.
Top Review by ahejt
This recipe calls for way too much cooking time for chicken thighs, so the meat was overcooked -probably after an hour. I used boneless chicken thighs which tended to break into smaller bites. The flavor is kind of like General Tso's Chicken (without the fry batter). Was disappointed that it wasn't better. May try to adapt the recipe and not put it in a slow cooker, but on the range for some part of an hour.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs fryer, parts fresh (thighs work well)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup light soy sauce or 1⁄3 cup low sodium soy sauce, works fine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, slivered (optional)
- green onion, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in the oil on both sides.
- Place the browned chicken parts in a slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger.
- Pour the sauce ingredients over the chicken parts.
- Cover the slow cooker with a lid and simmer on high power for one hour.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook about 5 hours longer, or until the meat juices run clear.
- Place chicken on plates or a serving platter; spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with almonds and green onions, if desired.
- (I like the sauce just a bit thicker than this recipe - I whisked together a little sauce and cornstarch in a saucepan, then gradually added the rest of the sauce until thickened to the consistency I prefer before spooning over chicken.).
- Serves 6.
- Since this recipe finishes its cooking in less time than most crock pot recipes, you can fully cook this one ahead of time and freeze, then reheat it and it will turn out great.
- For those of you who work eight hour days, this might be the best bet!