Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Authentic, bold, and delicious Thai flavors make this soup irresistible! This is the best Thai coconut soup I've had. You won't be disappointed with this one! Serve over steamed rice.
Top Review by Debbie R.
My picture doesn't do this soup justice. The chicken broth reduced down nicely, and the combo of mushrooms and shrimp--in terms of both taste and texture--was very good. The fresh lime juice is what moves this from "okay" to "very good", so be sure not to skip it. Very easy to make. This could serve 8 people only as an appetizer. It could serve 4 adults only if you also provide bread, salad and dessert. ZWT9
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 (3 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the ginger, lemon grass, and curry paste in the heated oil for 1 minute. Slowly pour the chicken broth over the mixture, stirring continually. Stir in the fish sauce and brown sugar; simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and mushrooms; cook and simmer until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp; cook until no longer translucent about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice; season with salt; garnish with cilantro.