1/5 Photos of The Best Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies You Will Ever Make!!
4 hrs 8 mins
History Teacher's Note:
I make this sugar cookie recipe every Christmas with my family. My mom is a teacher, and she had a baker's daughter many years ago. The baker made these for a class party, and my mom loved them so much that she shared her recipe. The trick is not to overcook them. I always use almond extract because I think it gives a better flavor. I have also made them with royal icing, and they tasted equally delicious. It is all your personal preference. This recipe does make a lot of cookies, depending on how big you cut them, but they always go really fast. This recipe makes a soft, tender dough. The dough initially is sticky, so add flour as you roll them out- but remember, the more flour you add and the more you mix them, the tougher the dough. Enjoy them!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream sugar and shortning. Add sour cream, eggs, and almond/vanilla. Mix well.
- 2In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- 3Add to creamed mixture until well blended. Remember, the more you mix, the tougher your dough will be.
- 4Chill for a few hours (at least 3-4). The dough will be soft and slightly sticky.
- 5Roll out (I use a floured pastry cloth), and cut with a cookie cutter. Flour cutter between each cookie to prevent sticking.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cookies shouldn't be brown, just done to the touch.
- 7FROSTING- See ingredients below.
- 82 lbs. powdered sugar 1 cup shortening 1/2 cup water 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
- 9Just mix ingredients until smooth.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies You Will Ever Make!!
Serving Size: 1 (1620 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1574.9
- Calories from Fat 609
- Total Fat 67.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 169.4 mg
- Sodium 708.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 221.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 102.4 g
- Protein 22.0 g