Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Deeply flavorful and rich with the subtle addition of apples and orange. Easiest & Best! Coffee Cakes and Quick Breads..R. Darling
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 medium orange, juice and grated peel
- 1 apple, peeled,cored and grated
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Beat together first 4 ingredients until blended.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Divide batter between 4 greased and lightly floured mini-loaf pans (6x3x2-inch), place pans on a cookie sheet and bake in a 325 F.
- oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pans and continue cooling on a rack.
- When cool, brush tops with orange honey and sprinkle with a few chopped toasted walnuts.
- Yields 4 mini-loaves.
- Or 2 (8x4-1-inch) loaf pans OR 1 (9x5-inch loaf pan).
- Adjust cooking time for larger loaves and bake at 350 F.
- until cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean.
This is a different kind of pumpkin bread from the ones I usually prefer. I do think it's quite nice. However, if you are looking for a strong pumpkin flavor, you should look elsewhere. The flavor of this bread is complex, and interesting. The color and texture are very good. I used homecooked Asian pumpkin (kabocha), and followed a recipe here for the pumpkin pie spice. I did add a small amount of salt, and scaled the recipe by 1.5. I did not change anything else. The yield was two medium loaves and 11 small muffins. One thing it is important to note is that this type of quick bread is much better the following day, when the flavors are beginning to meld. A mini food processor was very useful in the preparation. Thank you very much for this interesting recipe.