Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this recipe many years ago in a magazine. The page is so worn that I thought I had better post it here so I can preserve it. It's worth the effort. A Special summer drink that I think you will enjoy. Company perfect!
- 8 -10 lemons, thin skinned, at room temp
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups very hot water
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, finely grated** Use care to only grate the yellow outer skin. The white membrane underneath is very
- Finely grate or use a zester, lemons to get 1 Tbs of peel. Roll room temperature lemons firmly on hard surface to soften slightly. This will break down the membranes and produce more juice. Squeeze lemons to get 1 1/2 cups juice.
- In one quart pitcher stir together the sugar, hot water and peel. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon juice and chill thoroughly.
- To make serving, pour 1/4 cup of this syrup over ice cubes in 12 oz glass. Stir in 3/4 cups cold water. Garnish with thin lemon slices.
- Syrup can be refrigerated for 1 week in tightly closed jar.
- Time to make does not include chilling time.
I found I needed a bit more sugar and a little less water. But that is all personal preference. This is really a neat way to have lemonade. I did cut back on the zest since I find if the lemonade is not dranlk quickly it gets a bit bitter from the zest. I really like how I can just take out the base and make a glass at a time Made for PAC Fall 2009