Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Healthy, light and refreshingly good! Copycat of Italianni's restaurant best selling pasta dish. Believe me, you wont taste the anchovies here. Enjoy!
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, good quality
- 1 anchovy fillet, small can
- 2 (850 g) stewed tomatoes, Molinera
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chiffonade (1/2 c)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 250 ml cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 lb angel hair pasta, cooked
- In a large pan, saute garlic in olive oil till fragrant.
- Add in onions cook till softened.
- Dump in the whole can of anchovies including its oil.
- Keep stirring till dissolved.
- Add in the tomatoes, you can use hand emulsion blender to puree it.
- Simmer 10 minutes then add sugar.
- On low heat, allow to simmer 30 to 45 minutes till flavor concentrates.
- Add in basil, correct seasoning and simmer another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add in 2T parmesan cheese.
- You can stop here or add cream like what my kids like.
- Turn off heat and pour over cooked angel hair pasta.
- Garnish with more basil leaves and grated parmesan cheese.
- Dig in!
I added red wine vinegar and oregano and left out the cream. (I may have also put in more parmesan than called for, I didn't measure). This will be the recipe I use from now on.
We enjoyed this for dinner tonight. I made as directed and was surpised that you really could not taste the achovies. I did add the cream about 3/4 cup. Next time I would like to make it more spicy by adding some heat to it. Thanks shygirl for posting this recipe. Made for Sprng PAC 2008.
My favorite pasta recipe! Light and delicious.