Cook1 hr 15 mins
Was in a paper cutting my aunt gave me from an USA newspaper back in the 80's.. I have adapted it over the years to be yummier :) It is a very large cake that needs to be cooked in a roasting dish.. very moist and best iced with cream cheese frosting.
- Preheat oven to 180C (375F) and grease and line a large roasting dish.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda. Add salt.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl, add sugar and oil. Mix in carrot and pineapple until blended.
- Incorporate sifted flour mix bit-by-bit and stir until just combined.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour 1 hour 15 minutes or until cake starts shrinking from sides. Insert skewer, if it comes out clean then its cooked.
- Rest cake in tin for 15 minutes and then turn onto wire cooling tray.
- Beat butter, vanilla and cream cheese together in a mixer.
- Add icing sugar slowly until the frosting is a smooth consistancy.
- Frost cake when cold.
I've been hunting for a great carrot cake recipe and this is the best I have had to date. Perfect texture. It was quick to put together and not fussy like some others I have done. I subbed in one of the cups of flour for whole wheat, added some fresh nutmeg and chopped pecans. I used coconut oil and cut the amount back to slightly over 1 cup. Still very moist. Kids were very enthusiastic about the cake. Also, I made my cake in two 9-inch cake pans which took about 35 minutes to be done. I think I will playing with this recipe a bit more in the future, tweaking it until I have reach my vision of carrot cake perfection. I thank you very much for sharing such a wonderful cake. Made for Aus/NZ #19.
Made for PAC spring 2008. Well the results are in, my carrot cake loving DH says to give this recipe 100% (which I took to mean 5 stars). I followed the recipe, but did add 1 cup of walnuts (DH loves walnuts). I cooked it for 1hour 20mins. Cooled it and topped with cream cheese icing. It was a big hit, I'll be making it again. Thanks for a great recipe :)