Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe was given to me by my mother in law. It is by far the best brisket/sauce that I have ever tried!
- 6 lbs beef brisket
- 6 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- Trim fat on briskett.
- Soak brisket for 30 minutes in water.
- Sprinkle meat with kosher salt and let sit 30 minutes.
- Rinse meat well.
- Braise meat in olive oil until brown, approximately 8 minutes per side.
- Reduce heat and add onions.
- Add garlic.
- Remove meat.
- Add all ingredients for sauce.
- Stir well.
- Put meat back in pan and simmer covered for approximately 3 hours.
- Remove meat and reduce sauce.
I had company coming and I hadn't had a brisket in ages so I decided on this one, and man, am I glad I did! The brisket was cooked to perfection, and the sauce was in all honesty the best I have had! I plan to use it on some baby backs next!