Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from the Kirby House Restaurant in Abilene, Kansas. It is a low maintenance but flavorful potluck dish! In addition to the below ingredients, I add Penzey's Brady Street & Sandwich Sprinkle to each layer. But if you do add Sandwich Sprinkle, remember, there is salt already in it. This is a great 'make-ahead' dish that you can refrigerate or freeze until you are ready to bake. Prep time is approximate. Enjoy!
- 6 medium unpeeled potatoes, baked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (I use Penzey's mignonette)
- 6 -8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I use thick cut bacon)
- 1 cup sour cream, if desired (or more)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, if desired (or more)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with nonstick pan coating or grease lightly with solid shortening.
- Cut baked potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place half in a prepared baking dish; sprinkle half of the salt, pepper and bacon. Top with half of the sour cream & cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted (It usually takes 30 minutes for me. Also, you can cover with foil if the cheese starts to brown too quickly).
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions to garnish.
Did not come out as I expected. I agree, it is rather dry, even with added sour cream. I added a good bit of half&half, but that did change the flavor. Just not to our taste. Sorry.
This casserole is amazing!! As far as ingredients go I pretty much stuck to the recipe only instead of 1 cup sour cream I used 1/2 cup sour cream and 4 oz. cream cheese. For my potatoes I cooked them in the microwave (as I didn't have left over baked potatoes), then I grated them into the pan...I wasn't sure how it was going to work, but it was perfect!! I didn't think the recipe was dry at all as other reviewers had mentioned, however, that could be because of the way I prepared my potatoes. This was just downright delicious...can't wait to eat my leftovers :)
This was so very good! I didn't have enough sour cream, so it was kinda dry- but still good! The whole family enjoyed this. made for Spring PAC,2011.