Recipe by SquadLeader
After traveling in eastern Ohio and eating many different "Amish-style" meatloaves, I finally asked for this wonderful meatloaf recipe. This one is not as sweet as the typical Amish recipe and has some garlic flavoring in it. We love it!!
Top Review by The Frugal Cheflady
YUM! The reviewer who said it had great texture is what made me decide to try this recipe - texture is a big deal for me. This meatloaf came out perfectly, firm and very tasty! I didn't follow it exactly, though, but I'm sure if I'd have had the exact ingredients it wouldn't change my opinion. I used half bulk sausage, half ground beef, homemade seasoned breadcrumbs because I didn't have any Ritz crackers. I also used Miss Tink's House Seasoning (http://www.food.com/recipe/miss-tinks-house-seasoning-335883) because I was all out of garlic powder (I don't use garlic salt). The sauce tasted a bit too ketchup-y for me so I tweaked it a bit by adding Smokehouse pepper, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce. The end result was absolutely what I was after when I decided I wanted meatloaf for supper. The bacon was a nice touch, too. We love bacon here so I used 3 strips, which covered the top. Served with mashed potatoes and Sauteed Cabbage (http://www.food.com/recipe/sauteed-cabbage-446405).
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 3⁄4 cups Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 2 slices of regular-sliced bacon
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 7 ingredients throughly together and pack into a loaf pan.
- Next put the strips of bacon on top and bake for an hour at 350F degrees.
- While waiting, mix the sauce ingredients together.
- After the hour is up, pour and smooth the sauce onto the meatloaf and cook another 15 to 20 minutes. I have sometimes added 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt instead of the salt to the sauce mixture and that is also delicious!