Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another variation on chicken enchiladas - almost up to 500 on 'Zaar it looks like. Well, you can't have too many enchiladas, in our opinion! This is our favorite. We tried a variety of recipes and then ended up developing this one by taking our favorite elements from the others, with particular enjoyment of the sour cream/cream cheese addition from Anasazi Enchiladas, and personal preference (we like more veggies in ours than most seem to have in them). Low-fat/fat-free dairy products can be used - just be aware that fat-free cheese doesn't always melt as well as low-fat or regular does, so watch it carefully for doneness if that is used. Enjoy this with any kind of enchilada sauce - we've used red sauce, green chile sauce, sour cream sauce (I generally just make this like a roux, but add a combination of sour cream and chicken broth instead of milk), and mole sauce - my favorite! (I would highly recommend Mole (Mo-lay) Sauce). Feel free to add more sauce or cheese, as desired ... I've learned that we seem to like less of those ingredients than others :)
- 1 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 ounce sour cream
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces green chilies, diced
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 ounces shredded cheese, divided
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 8 ounces enchilada sauce, of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper and mix until smooth.
- Add chilies, tomatoes, green pepper, onions, 1 oz of the shredded cheese, and chicken, and mix well.
- Top each tortilla with half of the chicken mixture. Roll up each and place in a glass casserole dish.
- Smother with enchilada sauce and top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated through.
This was a big hit with 4 20something year olds this afternoon. They all came in when this was done and they were hungry. I was going to save one but they ate them all; so, our picture comes from the second pan, with corn tortillas. They declared that this was the best chicken enchiladas they had ever had. Made for ZWT8.
These are very yummy! I used less taco seasoning since the one I make is really spicy. We used the super tiny tortillas, which seem to be about a fourth the size of the huge ones - and 8 of them worked out perfectly. I took Sue's advice and made a little guacamole salad to go with it (although not necessary, it was a good accompaniment). Yum!
Very tasty! I will definitely be making again. I did add some black beans as a personal preference. Made for Ramadan Tag 2010