Recipe by AngelaSept
This is our favorite veggie recipe for Thanksgiving. Please try and I swear, even the Brussels Sprouts haters will thank you!
Top Review by mrsd607
I found this recipe here on Recipezaar a couple of years ago. I made it and brought it to my sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving, a meal for 16 people. Everyone raved about it to the point where it is insisted I make it each year! I HATE brussels sprouts but I have to say this is a fantastic recipe - even I eat them! Thanks!!!
- 2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts, halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 large Red Delicious apple, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- nutmeg, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring Brussels, lemon juice, salt and water to cover sprouts to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until tender, 5-7 minute Drain and keep them warm,.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in the large skilet over medium-high heat, add onion and saute until caramel color. Add apple juice and cook for 2 minute.
- Add apple, garlic, sugar; cook stirring constantly for 5-6 min or until apple is tender. Add water chestnuts, raisins, lemon rind, pepper, nutmeg, more salt to taste and 2 tbs butter; cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minute Gently toss in Brussels sprouts.