1/1 Photo of Thai Vegan Fried Rice (Khao Phad Jay)
Satisfying fried rice with no eggs, no fish sauce, and no meat, but lots of Thai flavor from pepper, garlic, and a bit of curry paste. From Foolproof Thai Cooking, by Ken Hom. He says this is a typical dish of a Thai Buddhist festival in the autumn, which people celebrate by eating only vegetables for a week. This is spicy, and I say this as someone who eats spicy Thai and Mexican foods on a regular basis. My favorite part of this dish was the black pepper, but it did make it hot. If you do not like spicy, do not make this. If you like spicy but not very hot, you may want to reduce the amounts of black pepper and garlic quite a bit. Yes, it says three Tablespoons of garlic. Yes, that's about two small heads of garlic - not cloves, heads. And if you do like things very spicy (mmm), use the amounts directed and enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups cooked long-grain rice (for uncooked rice, see step 1)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 ounces green beans, diced
- 4 ounces fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons thai green curry paste
- 1To start with uncooked rice, start with 2 cups raw rice, cook, spread out on a baking pan to cool, and then refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 2Prepare the garnishes: cut the scallions on a slight diagonal into 1-inch lengths, cut the cucumber into very thin slices, cut the lime into wedges; set aside.
- 3Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat and add the oil.
- 4When the oil is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic, onion, and black pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- 5Add the green beans and corn and continue to stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- 6Add the cold cooked rice and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- 7Add the soy sauce and curry paste and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- 8Garnish with the scallions, cucumber, and lime, and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Vegan Fried Rice (Khao Phad Jay)
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.8
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 514.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green curry paste