Prep 12 hrs
Cook 1 hr
You can buy the Sweet rice (looks and smells almost like Thai Jasmine rice) at any oriental store.
- 3 cups sweet rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or more)
- 1 -2 ripe mango
- 2 -3 tablespoons of tiny yellow beans (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, in
- 2 tablespoons of cold water
- Wash and rinse the rice in cold water until clean.
- Soak the rice in water overnight (so it'll absorb some water).
- Line the steamer (I hope you have one) with cheesecloth, and pour the rice onto it, draining the water.
- Cook the rice for about 35 to 45 minutes or until cooked, periodically sprinkle water on it to keep it moist.
- In a saucepan, stir in 3/4 can of the coconut milk, and when it boils, add 3/8 cup of sugar.
- When the rice is cooked, put it in a large container, and quickly add the coconut milk mixture.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until well-blended.
- Let it sit, covered with a clean cloth, until cool enough to eat.
- In the same saucepan, heat up the rest of the coconut milk.
- When it boils, add the sugar and the cornstarch mixture.
- Fix to taste.
- The sauce should be quite sweet and gravy-thick.
- Peel the mangoes and slice them into bite-size pieces.
- Spoon the sweet rice on a plate, top with coconut milk, and sprinkle some of the beans on top, then arrange the mangoes slices on the side.