Recipe by Sue Lau
Delicious and intriguing. Prep time does not include marination time, so allow time for that.
Top Review by Kathy(
I agree, an exceptionaly moist roast! I wasn't too keen on rubbing in red food coloring by hand(messy), so I put the food coloring and roast in a plastic bag and worked it in that way. I also marinated the roast for about 6 hours. Finally, since it is summer and hot, we grilled the tenderloins outside over medium to low heat. Very tasty roast. Thanks!
- 2 lbs boneless pork loin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- hot steamed rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat the pork loin dry; mix the food coloring with 2 tbsp water, and rub the pork with this solution.
- To prepare marinade, combine fish sauce, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sherry, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, five spice, and sesame oil in a blender and mix on high for about 30 seconds.
- Marinate pork in a large ziplock bag or shallow dish, working marinade all over meat, for at least 2 hours, turning meat occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking dish with heavy foil; place a meat rack in the dish (to elevate roast); oil rack to prevent sticking; place roast on rack in dish and place in preheated oven.
- After 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, place marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil; boil for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, add a little water if mixture becomes too thick; set aside.
- Cook roast in preheated oven, checking with meat thermometer starting at about 30 minutes, basting at intervals with cooked marinade.
- For a roast that is medium (has pinkness in the center), go for 160 degrees; for a roast that is well-done (fully cooked), go for 170 degrees.
- When done, remove roast from heat and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Thinly slice roast into 1/4" medallions.
- and place on a large platter.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves; serve with hot steamed rice.