1/1 Photo of Thai Roast Red Pork - Moo Daeng
Sue Lau's Note:
Delicious and intriguing. Prep time does not include marination time, so allow time for that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless pork loin
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- hot steamed rice
- 1Pat the pork loin dry; mix the food coloring with 2 tbsp water, and rub the pork with this solution.
- 2To prepare marinade, combine fish sauce, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sherry, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, five spice, and sesame oil in a blender and mix on high for about 30 seconds.
- 3Marinate pork in a large ziplock bag or shallow dish, working marinade all over meat, for at least 2 hours, turning meat occasionally.
- 4Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 5Line a baking dish with heavy foil; place a meat rack in the dish (to elevate roast); oil rack to prevent sticking; place roast on rack in dish and place in preheated oven.
- 6After 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
- 7Meanwhile, place marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil; boil for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, add a little water if mixture becomes too thick; set aside.
- 8Cook roast in preheated oven, checking with meat thermometer starting at about 30 minutes, basting at intervals with cooked marinade.
- 9For a roast that is medium (has pinkness in the center), go for 160 degrees; for a roast that is well-done (fully cooked), go for 170 degrees.
- 10When done, remove roast from heat and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- 11Thinly slice roast into 1/4" medallions.
- 12and place on a large platter.
- 13Garnish with cilantro leaves; serve with hot steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Roast Red Pork - Moo Daeng
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.1
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 95.4 mg
- Sodium 563.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 30.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: