Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Compliments of Thai Kitchen! Adjust your curry if you don't like heat use less then 1 tablespoon and if you enjoy the heat go for 3-4 tablespoons.
- 396.89 g canthai kitchen pure coconut milk
- 14.79-59.16 ml thai kitchen red curry paste
- 29.58-44.37 ml thai kitchen premium fish sauce
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 354.88 ml assorted fresh vegetables, cut into 1 inch pieces (like cauliflower, red bell pepper,onions,eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, peas, or your favorite combi)
- 226.79 g can bamboo shoots, rinsed and drained
- In a 2 quart saucepan, bring the coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce and brown sugar to a boil.
- Add the vegetables and bamboo shoots, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minute, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve over steamed jasmine rice.
This is one of my favorite "quick" dinners. It throws together so fast and is just delish! Like Kimke, I also use just one can of coconut milk. I also like to add a handful of fresh basil, the zest and juice of one lime, and a touch of garlic chili paste. Instead of adding veggies I usually throw in a bit of stir fried beef or chicken. A bit of info: this dish in Thailand (kaeng phed kai kap normai on)is often left as a "food gift" to the Buddhist monks during late summer (the time of Buddhist Lent). At that time the monks focus not on earthly things, but rather on meditation and teaching. Supporting the monks with food during this time is known as "making merit." This dish is a favorite offering as bamboo is in season and the orange of the curry is similiar in color to the monks robes. End of lesson. ;) Serve over jasmine rice with lime wedges. Very tastey stuff!!!
My husband loved this recipe and so did my 17 month old daughter! I couldn't believe she was eating all of her vegetables! I used light coconut milk and added a tbsp of corn starch b/c it comes out a little thinner without it! I will definitely make this again!!
I make this all the time and have finally perfected it to my family's taste. Here goes: 1 can of coconut mik, 2 Tblsp of red curry paste, 2Tblsp of fish sauce, 2 1/2 Tblsp of brown sugar and 4 1/2 cups of assorted vegetables(cauliflower, red bell, onion, potato, zucchini). Sometimes I throw in one juilenned chicken breast that I quickly stirfry in the pan for 5 minutes before going on with the recipe. It will cook further as you boil the vegetables in the coconut milk. This recipe makes a nice lunch every so often. ** Also I say 4 1/2 cups of vegetables but even more is good (1 more cup) because as they cook down alot of the water comes out of the veggies so you have alot of curry and also veggies are good for you!