Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Classic Thai. From Food and Wine.
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed cilantro, leaves and tender stems
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/3 pounds total)
CILANTRO DIPPING SAUCE
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- Light the grill or heat the broiler. In a blender or food processor, puree the jalapenos, smashed garlic cloves, the 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and stems, the fish sauce, cooking oil, sesame oil, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Put the chicken in a shallow dish and coat it with the cilantro puree.
- Grill the chicken over moderately high heat or broil it for 5 minutes. Turn and cook until just done, about 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a small stainless-steel saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to a simmer, stirring. Simmer for 2 minutes. Pour the liquid into a small glass or stainless-steel bowl and let cool. Add the minced garlic, the 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, the red-pepper flakes and water. Serve each chicken breast with a small bowl of the dipping sauce alongside.