Da Huz's Note:
A tasty, medium-spiced chicken curry. If you use "lite" coconut milk it's almost good for you... Adapted from "The Essential Curries Recipe Cookbook" by Steer (2008). Feel free to garnish with lime wedges and basil, and serve on top of steamed jasmine rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 lemongrass, stalks finely sliced (discard outer leaves first)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 green chilies, Thai hot chillies preferably
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed, then cut in half
- 14 ounces light coconut milk
- 1Use a high-quality food processor - you want a paste, not a finely-chopped salsa.
- 2Into the food processor, put: onion, lemon grass, garlic, ginger, green chillies, lime zest, lime juice, half of the peanut oil (1 tbsp), fish sauce, cilantro, and basil.
- 3Process to a smooth paste. Add a little water if necessary.
- 4Heat a wok or a large frying pan with the remaining 1 tbsp peanut oil. When very hot, add the chicken and stir-fry 2-3 minutes, or until the chicken starts to turn golden-colored.
- 5Add the green beans and stir-fry one more minute. Remove chicken and green beans to a plate or bowl.
- 6Put paste into wok and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. The raw onions in the paste will ruin the flavor, so make sure onion is fully cooked before moving on. Taste regularly to check.
- 7When paste no longer has raw-onion flavor, stir in coconut milk and mix well.
- 8Add chicken and green beans, stir to coat, and simmer (uncovered) for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Green Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.5
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 96.8 mg
- Sodium 1048.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 35.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk