Recipe by smellyvegetarian
From 125 Gluten-Free Vegetarian Recipes.
Top Review by Maryland Jim
OK, have to admit that at first glance I did not think I would like this soup. Boy, was I surprised! It is very light and refreshing. Made as directed. The fresh ginger and the herbs really makes this soup! Great summer time lunch. Made for ZWT9 and "The Apron String Travelers"
- 2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups red potatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, grated
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 (15 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 10 basil leaves, chopped
- 10 mint leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, divided
- salt and pepper
- 2 limes, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy medium saucepan, bring the corn, potatoes, onion, ginger, garlic, broth salt, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest to a boil over high heat, adding water to cover.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. With a potato masher, mash enough of the mixture to create a thicker soup (if you wish).
- Add the coconut milk, basil, mint, and half of the cilantro and heat through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve garnished with remaining cilantro and lime halves.