Recipe by crispychick
I always get the coconut chicken soup when I go to a Thai restaurant. I love the combination of flavors! This is a dish that can be served over white or basmati rice or made thinner by adding additional chicken broth and turned into a soup. Add some paper thin sliced mushrooms and scallions at last minute if you're making the soup. This is also really good with shrimp. Do watch that red curry paste, though- it's spicy!!!
Top Review by stormylee
Great tasty sauce! I added some spring onion and mushrooms at the end, had to omit the basil as I forgot to buy it (argh!), and used 1 tbls of palm sugar instead of the brown sugar. Will add a bit of heat the next time - a fresh red chile pepper might be just the ticket! Thank you for sharing!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, sliced into thin strips
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons fish stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 -2 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, chiffonade
- 1⁄2 cup frozen English peas
- 1⁄2 cup canned water chestnut
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 limes, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bottom of a pot, stir together the red curry paste and a little coconut milk to combine.
- Saute the chicken until cooked through.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer 10 minutes or so, or until the peas are cooked and the sauce has reduced and thickened to desired consistency.
- Serve over hot cooked basmati or white rice.
- (I have added about a quart of chicken broth to this base recipe to make soup- adding thinly sliced mushrooms and scallions) Serve with wedges of lime.