Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is not for the timid. Got this recipe while visiting San Antonio, TX. My DH and I love it but we love hot and spicy food
Top Review by Gail Blue Eyes
These were fantastic Nurse Di. I made these for Labor Day because I have some real heat-seekers in my family. Very spicy and full of flavor. A keeper in our book Thanks for sharing this.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried pinto beans
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bacon, slices cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded,and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water 2 inches above beans.
- Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute; cover, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour; drain.
- Bring beans, 4 1/2 cups water, and next 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomato and jalapeno pepper, and simmer mixture for 30 more minutes.