King Ranch Chicken Casserole (Oamc)
This version reminds me of the one served at Mama's Cafe in San Antonio, TX. YUM! You can add some heat by using Hot Picante Sauce and/or Hot Rotel. Now living in Iowa, this reminds me of home. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup picante sauce (heat level according taste)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (or 2 cans drained Rotel)
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken (can used canned chicken)
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch pieces (6 inch)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix soup, picante sauce, sour cream, chili powder, tomatoes (or Rotel), and chicken.
- In 2-quart shallow baking dish, spread 1/2 of the tortilla pieces to cover the bottom. Top with 1/2 the chicken mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with cheese and onions.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until hot.
- If desired, serve with additional picante sauce, sour cream, onions, black olives, shredded cheese.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze chicken mixture in Ziploc bags uncooked.
- TO SERVE: Defrost chicken mixture. Arrange corn tortillas and chicken mixture according to above directions and bake.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was a nice recipe as it was easy to do and tasty. The tomato flavours were a little on the heavy side for us - tomato lovers will be happy! I found it was a bit on the thin side after cooking and the tortilla's were dry. Maybe, using store bought tortilla's, it would help to sprinkly water on them first?Reply
Very good recipe. I used my own canned salsa (Wonderful Salsa from this site). I used low fat sour cream and due to a personal preference, I used flour tortillas. I also added 2 cups of frozen corn (thawed). Thank you for sharing your recipe. This was made for Spring PAC 2008. I will also submit a picture in the next week.1Reply
see 3 more