Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is not for the timid. Got this recipe while visiting San Antonio, TX. My DH and I love it but we love hot and spicy food
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried pinto beans
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bacon, slices cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded,and chopped
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water 2 inches above beans.
- Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute; cover, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour; drain.
- Bring beans, 4 1/2 cups water, and next 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomato and jalapeno pepper, and simmer mixture for 30 more minutes.
These were fantastic Nurse Di. I made these for Labor Day because I have some real heat-seekers in my family. Very spicy and full of flavor. A keeper in our book Thanks for sharing this.
Made this last night for supper. We love pinto beans and hot/spicy food. So this was perfect for us. Just the right amount of heat. The bacon and onion are a big plus. Probably next time, I will try it in the crockpot like the other reviewer. Just to see what happens. Thanks for a terrific recipe.
If ya don't want them too hot, put in one jalapeno pepper whole, instead of cut and let it cook the entire time. when the beans are done, discard the whole jalapeno.