Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
This recipe is from "Southern Living" magazine, January 2006. Excellent cornread! Delicious!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Combine first 5 ingredients; make a well in center. Stir together buttermilk, butter, and egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just moistened.
- Heat cast-iron cornstick pans in a 450 degree oven 5 minutes or until hot. Remove pans from oven, and brush lightly with oil. Spoon batter evenly into hot pans.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately; cool slightly on wire racks.
This was an excellent recipe. I will be using this from now on. Thanks for posting.
WOW! This is the first timed I've tried cornsticks. Had them a lot when I was a kid, but I guess they went 'out of vogue'? Anyway, they turned out pretty as well as easy to prepare AND tasty! Thanks SouthernBelle,for sharing this recipe! Hubby LOVED them - and ate 3 as well as reminding me to be sure and wrap up the rest!!!!!
My husband made these DELICIOUS sticks this evening in a recently purchased Griswold cornstick cast iron pan. We can't say enough about them! He followed the recipe exactly & they came out perfectly, firm but not hard. The cayenne added just the right touch.....wonderful aftertaste without too much heat. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!