Gourmet Madeleine Cookies
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F Generously butter and flour pan for large madeleines (about 3x1 1/4 inches).
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs and 2/3 cup sugar in large bowl just to blend. Beat in vanilla, lemon peel and salt. Add flour; beat just until blended. Gradually add cooled melted butter in steady stream, beating just until blended.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each indentation in pan. Bake until puffed and brown, about 10-16 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Gently remove from pan. Repeat process, buttering and flouring pan before each batch. (Can be made 1 day ahead.).
- Dust cookies with powdered sugar.
Questions & Replies
Ok here you go, after 3 tries, my wife and I came up with these small changes that make a huge difference in the Madeleines... first of all you should cream the egg and sugar together until pale ribons form, then finish the recipe as stated except add 1 tbl butter and raise the temp of your oven to 400 degrees reduce the cooking time to 9 minutes and turn your product around after 5 minutes. now they are straight from Antibes, France... ENJOY!!!
THANK YOU so much for sharing this recipe! I've searched and searched for the perfect Madeleine recipe and it ends here! Crispy on the outside and sponge like cake in the middle. Perfectly delicious! Not only that, they are very easy to make. From prep to bake, it took less than 20 minutes! The best part is, most of us already have all the ingredients on hand. Definitely a keeper!
see 42 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">