Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is the chili I serve at my annual chili dinner. It's direct from "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American." You'll probably want to cut back on the jalapenos, especially the first time you make the recipe. The author insists that "genuine" Texas chili is made without beans but you can add a can of kidney beans if you like.
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, diced
- 2 lbs beef chuck, diced 1/8 inch
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 jalapenos, seeded & chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons chili powder, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, including juice
- Toast the cumin seeds for 10 minutes at 375º and set aside.
- (I use my toaster oven for this step).
- In a 6 quart kettle saute the bacon until clear.
- Add meat, onions, garlic& jalapenos; cook& stir on high heat until browned.
- When meat is brown and onions are clear add the rest of the ingredients, mashing up the tomatoes by hand.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Correct seasonings.
Good and easy chili-- and true chili (no beans!). I cut back on jalapenos and added some cocoa. I simmered about 1 hour, and it was tasty. Reheated next day, even tastier! Thanks!
My Texas Born Hubby cooked this Texas Chili for us today. It turned out really great - He only used 3 of the called for jalapenos, at my request - but added some on top of some grated cheddar on his. This chili and some cornbread - nothing better on a cold rainy day!
What a DEE-licious chili! I used a nice thick bacon from Whole Foods. Three strips was 1/4 #, but I was asked to add one more strip **rolling my eyes** so I did. The bacon was so lean, I added a wee bit of bacon grease to keep it from sticking. I went through the motion of toasting the cumin seeds twice because I burnt the first batch. I don't know why, but 10 minutes in my toaster oven at 375 was too much. I used all 6 jalapeno peppers. I also doubled the chili powder. I used recipe-ready chopped tomatoes. I really thought I was going to miss beans in my chili...not a chance. This is awesome and hearty. (Second bowl, we sprinkled a little shredded cheese on top) :)