Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
A delicious and hearty Tex-Mex salad. Don't forget the lime. That little squirt brightens the entire salad. I, also, would think ground turkey or chicken would work.
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, diced fine
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans or 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and well drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 -8 cups shredded romaine lettuce, well chilled (can prepare ahead and chill your plates)
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 lime, cut in 8 wedges
- For the dressing, combine salsa and sour cream. Measure 1/4 cup and set aside. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30-45 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in ground beef and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up beef into small pieces. Cook until meat has lost all pink color, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until mixture begins to simmer, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, fold in reserved 1/4 cup salsa dressing and cilantro.
- To the chilled lettuce, top with the cooked meat mixture and then the dressing. Garnish with chopped avocado and cheese. Add 2 lime wedges per plate.