Recipe by Susie in Texas
These are an absolute must for your next backyard cookout! The chili-lime flavored mayonnaise is DELICIOUS! I usually do not like mayo on a hamburger (give me mustard or Miracle Whip) but you will be surprised with this delightfully different taste.
Top Review by Paula5
Once in a while you find a recipe that just suits your taste to perfection. This is one of those. The mayonnaise was great -- not too runny at all -- even tho I used low-fat. I used chipotle chili sauce and ground turkey, too. I wish I had made even more of the mayo because it's all gone and we have a couple of burgers left. Kudos to Susie! Try this! You'll lvoe it!
Chili-Lime Mayo ingredients
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup picante sauce or 1⁄3 cup salsa or 1⁄3 cup chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices monterey jack pepper cheese (1 ounce)
- 6 hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl combine first four ingredients to make the Chili-Lime Mayo.
- Mix well and refrigerate while cooking burgers.
- In large bowl combine ground beef with next four ingredients, adding salt and pepper to your taste.
- Use your hands and combine these ingredients well.
- Form meat mixture into 6 (6-inch) patties.
- Grill meat patties on outdoor grill over medium-high (350-400 degrees) heat.
- Be sure to keep the grill lid closed to avoid flare-ups.
- This should take approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- You may also cook these in the oven, if you prefer.
- Check meat patties for doneness and top each meat patty with one slice of pepper-jack cheese during the last minute or so of grilling.
- We also toast our buns on the grill.
- This only takes a moment as they will burn quickly.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns slathered with Chili-Lime Mayo and your desired toppings.
- Suggested Toppings: shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced fresh onion or guacamole.