Recipe by Shelby Jo
From EveryDay with Rachael Ray magazine, March 2012.
Top Review by breezermom
I really loved the taste of the burger itself! The queso sauce tasted a little "floury" to me, so I think next time I'll just mix the cheese and tomatoes, adding a small amount of milk. Served mine with onions, diced tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapenos. Very good burger! Made for Photo Tag.
- 12 slices good-quality smokey bacon, 4 slices finely chopped and 8 left whole
- 1 1⁄4 lbs 80% lean ground beef
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated onions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pureed chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) candiced tomatoes with green chilies, well drained
- 4 soft burger rolls, split
- crisp yellow corn chips
- chopped onion, tomatoes, cilantro, and pickled jalapenos
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange the 8 whole bacon slices on a broiler pan and bake at 375 degrees until crisp, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Combine the beef, chopped bacon, grated onion, garlic, chiopotle puree and Worcestershire sauce; season with s&p. Form into 4 patties (thinner at the center) drizzle with oil.
- Grill the burgers for 5 minutes on each side for medium.
- Make the queso sauce in a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute then whisk in the milk. Stir in the cheese to melt. Stir in the tomatoes. Place the burgers on the bun bottoms and top with the queso sauce, criss-crossed bacon strips, corn chips, and remaining toppings and bun tops.
- Serve extra sauce on the side.