Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From USA Weekend 2/26/12 by Ellie Krieger "This Italian-style recipe is packed with six vegetables varieties -- plus beans -- making it an excellent source of fiber, vitamins A and C, and a good source of protein and minerals -- all for less than 150 calories a serving. mashing some of the beans before putting them in the soup thickens the herb-infused broth, giving it a hearty body."
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canno-salt-added tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 ounces baby spinach leaves, chopped (2 cups lightly packed)
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a small bowl, mash half of the beans with a masher or the back of a spoon; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over med-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, salt and pepper, until the vegetables are tender (about 5 mins).
- Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves; cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
- Serve topped with the parmesan, if desired.
I liked this soup, but didn't love it. It definitely gets bonus points for being low fat and healthy, but it isn't something I really looked forward to having leftover. It is easy and nice to use up some veggies sitting in the fridge. I love Ellie Krieger, but prefer some of her other healthy recipes.
Definitely lived up to it's name - Terrific! Loved the veggie combinations and it was so easy and quick to make. Homemade soup without a lot of effort. Next time I might add more cannellini beans (just my preference) and increase the broth. Will definitely make this healthy soup again! Made for Fall PAC 2012.