Recipe by Rebecca Louise
This decadent and rich tiramisu is my modified version of several recipes I've found. It's easier than it sounds. I made it for my brother's birthday and it went so fast, I barely got a piece! Best after sitting for a day, so prepare in advance.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1⁄2 cup brewed espresso, chilled
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfingers
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk sugar and egg yolks in a medium saucepan until incorporated. Whisk in milk. Stirring constantly, allow mixture to gently boil for one minute before removing from heat. Let cool slightly, then cover tightly and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- After custard mixture cools, beat heavy cream with vanilla extract in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Whisk mascarpone cheese and amaretto into chilled custard until smooth.
- Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture until just incorporated.
- In a shallow bowl, combine espresso and Kahlua. Split ladyfingers in half and arrange one package along the bottom of a 7" x 11" dish. With a pastry brush, coat the ladyfingers with half of the espresso mixture, then dust with one tablespoon cocoa powder.
- Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then repeat the layers. Dust the top with another tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours and up to 4 days.