Recipe by magpie diner
A new way to try quinoa, nice alternative to rice and packed full of protein. This was published in Alive's July magazine, originally from Dreen Burton. Can't wait to try it!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water (or broth)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons tamari (wheat free, or Braggs)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons agave nectar (or sub other sweetener of your choice)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (adjust to your taste)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons green onions, finely sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse quinoa very well in cold water for a few minutes to remove its bitter outer layer.
- In a saucepan add quinoa, water (or broth) and garlic. Bring to boil, stir and then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 12 minutes until done.
- While the quinoa cooks, mix together the ginger, tamari, agave nectar, lemon juice and sesame oil.
- Once the quinoa is done, turn off the heat and stir in the tamari mixture. Cover again and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Stir again and sprinkle with the sesame seeds and green onions. Serve!