1/1 Photo of Teriyaki Portabella Mushroom Burger
Amy in Hawaii's Note:
Vegetarian burger using a giant portabella mushroom instead of beef and Asian teriyaki sauce
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 2 ounces ginger, peeled and crushed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons artificial sweetener (Splenda)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 kaiser rolls
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1Place crushed ginger and garlic in a 1 gallon size plastic locking bag.
- 2Add soy sauce, sweetener and oil to bag, seal and shake well.
- 3Clean portabello mushrooms by wiping off dirt with a clean damp cloth. Cut off stem end of mushrooms.
- 4Place mushrooms in bag with soy mixture, reseal and let stand about 15 minutes. Heat nonstick skillet on range on medium high heat.
- 5Remove mushrooms from bag and place cap side down in hot skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes and turn mushrooms. If the skillet is dry add some of the soy sauce from the bag.
- 6Continue cooking until the skillet is almost dry and sauce caramelizes on mushrooms. Remove skillet from heat.
- 7Optional: If you do not like the taste of raw onions, you may remove mushrooms from skillet and set aside. Add 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil to skillet on medium heat and sweat sliced onions until translucent and caramelized.
- 8To assemble the sandwich, spread mayonnaise on each half of the kaiser roll.
- 9Place 1 lettuce leaf, cut to fit the bun on one half. Place cheese slice on top of lettuce and then 1 tomato slice on top of the cheese.
- 10On the other half of the bun, place 1 portabella mushroom and either the cooked or raw onion slice on top of the mushroom. Put the two halves of the buns together and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Teriyaki Portabella Mushroom Burger
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.1
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 31.0 mg
- Sodium 1510.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 19.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: