Recipe by Alskann
This is a family favorite and so simple. I first got the recipe from a friend who was a chef in a Japanese restaurant. When I married my husband he was using the same recipe he got from his Japanese ex-mother-in-law. It is so versatile we have used it for chicken breasts, wings, thighs, salmon, halibut, beef-kabobs - even veggies!
Top Review by mdumes
Very good, we added minced fresh ginger and one tsp of garlic, as well as used 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 3/4 cup of soy sauce (but added an extra 1/4 cup of water) based on the reviews here to reduce the saltiness and sweetness. It was perfect. The kids liked it, as did I! A great way to make chicken other than in the oven. Thanks!
- 8 -12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Brown chicken pieces in hot oil.
- While chicken is browning, mix together the soy sauce, sugar, water, and ginger.
- Add the sauce to the chicken.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low and let simmer, uncovered, for about 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce has thickened.
- Turn chicken pieces occasionally during cooking process.
- Serve over cooked rice.(We use short grain "sticky rice" prepared in a rice cooker.).
- Serve excess sauce along side, people always seem to want more of it.
- To reduce the calories, skinless chicken may be used.